T-Shirts & Stuff
Visit Olive-Drab.com's sister site for
over 8,000 free military vehicle photos!
Ford Truck, Amphibian, GPA, 1/4 ton, 4x4
The GPA amphibious jeep was developed by Ford Motor Company from components of the Ford GPW 1/4 ton 4x4 jeep. Naval architects designed the amphibious hull, the same firm that designed the 2 1/2 DUKW amphibious truck. The GPA was manufactured by Ford during World War II, starting in 1942 and ending in March 1943. The GPA was not popular or successful with the U.S. military, judged too small, difficult to maneuver and subject to swamping in any significant waves. However, GPAs were supplied to the Soviet Union under Lend Lease and the Soviets continued to manufacture the GPA (as the GAZ 011) after Ford's contracts were concluded.
The Ford GPA was also called the "Seep" for "Sea Jeep" or sometimes the "jeep in a bathtub."
Ford Truck, Amphibian, GPA, 1/4 ton, 4x4 (G-504) Specifications
The Ford GPA running gear (engine, transmission, transfer case, axles) were essentially the same as the Ford GPW jeep, but the amphibious GPA vehicle was longer than the GPW jeep. The 84 inch wheelbase was four inches longer than the jeep and the hull extended to the front and rear of the axles. The interior layout was similar to the GPW, a spare tire and anchor where stored on the rear deck, a capstan winch on the front deck, and a rifle rack was mounted on the windshield. A propeller and rudder were mounted on the rear of the GPA along with a standard pintle hook.
Ford GPA Amphibian, 1/4-ton, 4x4 Photos
Find additional photos and hi-res versions of the Ford GTA Amphibious 1/4-ton 4x4 at the Olive-Drab Military Mashup:
Ford GPA Amphibian, 1/4-ton, 4x4 Photo Gallery