T-Shirts & Stuff
Visit Olive-Drab.com's sister site for
over 8,000 free military vehicle photos!
Harley Davidson Model 50 WLA
The primary manufacturer of motorcycles for the U.S. military during World War II was Harley-Davidson who began producing the WLA in their Milwaukee, WI factory in 1940. During the war, Harley-Davidson produced more than 88,000 WLAs, shipped to U.S. forces as well as to Allies (especially the Soviet Union) under Lend-Lease. The production for the U.S. military were designated 42WLA while the version for Canadian and other Allied forces were 43WLA, loosely related to the year the production specification was adopted.
Harley Davidson WLA Military Motorcycle
The Harley Davidson Model 50 WLA solo motorcycle provided the U.S. Army with fast, flexible transportation for reconnaissance, messenger service, police operations, and convoy control.
The military WLA was based on the H-D WLD civilian model. Changes included olive drab paint, blued or parkerized metal parts, blackout lights, ammunition boxes, cargo rack, a bracket for a submachine gun scabbard [mounted left and right of the front tire], modified fenders, military style windshield, and saddlebags [straddled over the rear tire]. Metal leg shields were authorized for winter use. An oil bath air cleaner and modified crankcase air breather adapted the WLA to field conditions and fording requirements.
Recommended Book about Military Harley Davidson Motorcycles