T-Shirts & Stuff
Visit Olive-Drab.com's sister site for
over 9,000 free military vehicle photos!
International Harvester TD-18
The International Harvester TD-18 Tractor / Bulldozer, introduced in 1938, was the largest IH tractor produced during WW II. The TD-18 (brand name TracTracTor) remained in production, in several versions with increasing horsepower, until 1957. A total of about 22,000 TD-18 tractors were produced at the International Harvester factory in Melrose Park, IL.
International Harvester TD-18 Tractor / Bulldozer (G-101)
The TD-18 Tractor / Bulldozer was a designated prime mover for heavy artillery such as the M2 155mm "Long Tom". The TD-18 was especially useful in the mud and jungles of the Pacific Theater where only a tractor crawler could move the heavy artillery. With a bulldozer blade, the TD-18 was used to build roads and fortifications as well as to breech enemy positions. It is reported that the SS President Coolidge, a luxury liner converted to troopship, had 120 IH TD-18 bulldozers in cargo when it was sunk at Espiritu Santo in 1942, while carrying reinforcements for Guadalcanal.
During WW II, the TD-18 was one of the bulldozers collectively known as "Tractor, Heavy, M1." The International Harvester Co. Model TD18 was Ordnance G-101. Equivalent tractors were produced during WW II by Caterpillar Tractor Co. (Model D7, G-126) and Allis-Chalmers Co. (Model HD10W, G-98).
International Harvester TD-18 Characteristics
Manuals for the International Harvester TD-18 include:
Other military IH TD-18 photos from the McCormick - International Harvester Collection at the Wisconsin Historical Society: