T-Shirts & Stuff
Visit Olive-Drab.com's sister site for
over 8,000 free military vehicle photos!
M-38 Truck 1/4 Ton 4x4
The M38 Jeep was the first post-WW II jeep, based on the civilian model CJ-3A, but upgraded for military use. It was known by Willys as the model MC. It featured flat fenders, a one-piece windshield, bottom-mounted wipers, a fuel filler on the left side near the driver's seat, protruding headlights, and an air vent at the bottom center of the windshield frame. The pioneer tools (axe and shovel) are located on the passenger side. The 80-inch wheelbase M38 weighed 2,750 pounds. Its nomenclature is Truck 1/4 Ton 4x4, M-38 (G-740).
When compared to the World War II Willys MB / Ford GPW, the M38 is a little larger, with better seating for the driver and passenger, and uses larger tires (7:00x16). It shares a 24 volt waterproofed electrical system with other post-war M-series vehicles, requiring a second battery to boost the voltage. The L-head, 4 cyl. 60 hp. engine of the MB was improved with a gear drive camshaft and was mated to a T90 transmission and 5:38 axle gears.
Willys produced about 45,500 of the M-38 jeeps from September 1950 through July 1952.More information and photos are available on this Olive-Drab.com page about M-38 Military Jeeps.
M-38 Truck 1/4 Ton 4x4 (G-740)
Manuals for the M-38 Truck 1/4 Ton 4x4 include:
Date in parentheses may not be the only publication date for the manual.
Find additional photos and hi-res versions of the M-38 military jeep at the Olive-Drab Military Mashup:
M-38 Military Jeep Photo Gallery
Recommended Book about the M-38 Jeep