T-Shirts & Stuff
Visit Olive-Drab.com's sister site for
over 8,000 free military vehicle photos!
The M-3 Halftrack was widely used by mounted units during World War II and afterwards. It was a slightly longer upgrade of the similar M2 halftrack with additional rear armor, a rear door, a winch and other changes. It carried twelve men (ten in the rear, and two in front) plus the driver and was initially armed with a single .30 cal. machine gun on a post mount.
M-3 Halftrack (G-102)
The M3 halftrack was designed primarily as a troop carrier, with reduced storage but more seating compared to the M2 halftrack. To distinguish the M3 halftrack from the M2 halftrack, note that the ten-inch longer M3 body extends further beyond the tracks (and has no step) while the M2 body stops close to the end of the tracks. During the production life of the M3 many small changes were made, in parallel with the M2, including spring-loaded idlers, demountable headlights moved from the fenders to the side of the hood, mine racks, and a winch.
Over 42,000 M3 Halftracks were produced between 1939 and 1944, in a number of variants. M3 halftracks had a post mount machine gun, rather than the skate rail found on the M2. The M3A1, introduced in 1945, had an additional .50 cal. machine gun in the front, center next to the driver, on a ring mount. The 10 ton vehicle was powered by a White 160AX 6 cyl. 128 hp gasoline engine that moved it at up to 55 mph on the road. They were used through World War II and later, until replaced by the M75 Armored Personnel Carrier.
Among the many variations of the M3 and M3A1 halftracks were:
Find additional photos and hi-res versions of the M-3 Halftrack at the Olive-Drab Military Mashup:
Recommended Book About the M3 Halftrack
M-3 Halftrack Photo Gallery