Today in WW II: 15 Jan 1943 Pentagon building completed as US War Department headquarters after only 16 months of construction, costing approx $83 million.
M-41 155mm Howitzer Motor Carriage
The M-41 155mm Howitzer Motor Carriage was based on the M-24 Chaffee Light Tank fitted with an M1 155mm Howitzer. The chassis was also used for the M-19 40mm anti-aircraft gun carriage. In addition to the howitzer, the M-41 carried 22 rounds of 155mm ammunition.
The M41 was originally powered with two Cadillac 110 HP engines but was underpowered. In Korea, Ordnance installed two Cadillac 150 HP engines, an upgrade that was judged a considerable improvement.
The manufacturer was Massey-Harris Tank Division of Racine, WI.
Specifications of the M-41 155mm Gun Motor Carriage
||7 feet 10 in.
||9 feet 4 in.
||19 feet 2 in,
||Twin Cadillac V-8 gasoline
||110 bhp each (150 upgrade)
M-41 155mm Gun Motor Carriage of Battery A, 96th Field Artillery Battalion, in firing position near Yanggau, Korea, 25 June 1951.
M-41 155mm Gun Motor Carriage of the 7th Infantry Division, near Sinhung, Korea, protecting the perimeter around the seaport city of Hamhung during the withdrawal of the 1st Marine Division from the Chosin Resevoir, 2 December 1950.
M-41 155mm Gun Motor Carriage of Battery A, 92nd Armored Field Artillery Battalion, U.S. Eighth Army, firing adjusting rounds near Kumhwa, Korea, 8 June 1952.