The M-880 is a Commercial Utility Cargo Vehicle (CUCV pronounced "cuck-vee"), a military modified Dodge pick-up truck, procured in the mid-1970s to replace the Kaiser M715 5/4 truck and any remaining M-37 Dodge trucks in military inventory. The CUCVs were an attempt by the U.S. military to use COTS (commercial, off-the-shelf) vehicles with minor modifications in non-combat roles. After the M880 series, the U.S. military procured the M1008 - M1009 - M1010 Chevrolet CUCVs as a second try of the COTS concept. This effort to save money was not very successful and eventually all CUCV units where replaced by HMMWVs.
4th Platoon, 295th Military Police Co. with Truck, Cargo, 1 1/4 ton, 4x4 M-880, Seneca Army Depot, Romulus, NY, 9 May 1984.
Today in WW II: 10 Mar 1945 Japanese incendiary balloon by chance becomes entangled in the electrical lines feeding the Hanford, WA plutonium reactor, forcing a shut down, the only American facility shut down by enemy action during WW II.
Truck, Cargo, 1 1/4 ton, 4x4 M-880 CUCV
The M880 cargo truck (pick-up body) (NSN 2320-00-579-8942) is the base model of the M880 Dodge Commercial Utility Cargo Vehicles (CUCV) series of trucks. The linked page provides more information on the general characteristics of the Dodge CUCV trucks and a directory of links to Olive-Drab.com pages for other models of the series.
Tabulated data for the Truck, Cargo, 1 1/4 ton, 4x4 M-880 CUCV:
318 cid gasoline V8, 150 bhp @ 4000 rpm, 230 ft-lbs torque @ 2400 rpm with 2 bbl Carter or Holley carb
Chrysler Torqueflite 727 Automatic, 3 fwd, 1 rev
New Process NP203, 2 speed, full-time 4x4, chain drive