The front of the hull is fitted with an A-frame winch with a pull capacity of 45 tons and a lift capacity of 25 tons. The 47 ton vehicle was armed with a .50 cal. machine gun. It was powered by a Ford GAA 8 cyl. 450 hp engine that could drive it at 21 mph. Over 1000 of the M74 ARV were produced during 1954-1955 by Bowen-McLaughlin-York (later BMY, acquired by United Defense). Other M74 ARVs were converted from M32B1 Tank Recovery Vehicles at Rock Island Arsenal until 1958.
M74 Armored Recovery Vehicle at 4th Infantry Division Museum, Ft. Hood, TX, 2 December 2005. Photo: Courtesy of Bob Pettit.