BARC Amphibious Craft
The BARC (Barge Amphibious Resupply Cargo) is a 60-ton cargo capacity amphibious cargo carrier, the heaviest of the amphibious lighters. It was later designated as the Lighter, Amphibious Resupply Cargo, 60-ton (LARC-LX) borrowing the name of the much smaller LARC. The BARC / LARC-LX is a wheeled vehicle that drives from the ocean or waterway onto a beach. It was the only amphibian in the Army inventory capable of landing on a beach through breaking surf.
The maiden voyage of the BARC was at Fort Lawton, WA, in 1952 followed by its first operational mission at Frobisher Bay in the Baffin Islands in 1956. Also in 1956, the BARC worked the beaches at Sondrestom Air Base, Greenland, and four others were used at Thule, Greenland in 1958, moving over 4,000 tons of cargo. BARC was used in Vietnam to transport wheeled and tracked vehicles, including beach preparation equipment and general cargo, from ship to shore or to inland transfer points. The last US Army company operating these vehicles was decommissioned on 15 October 2001.
Typical loads for the BARC would be one of or a mixture of:
- 125 combat troops
- 2 wheeled vehicles
- 4 twenty-foot containers
- 2 forty-foot containers
The BARC was deck-loaded on a commercial vessel or heavy lift ship for transport overseas. The U.S. Army had a peak inventory of 12 BARC vehicles.
|Draft (Full Load)
|Speed (Full Load)
||60 short tons
The LARC-LX tires are nine-feet high, each with a 220-horsepower engine powering it. The four engines power the wheels and ramp on shore. They convert to turn the twin propellers and rudders when afloat. Two 300-gallon fuel tanks supply the engines.
Find additional photos and hi-res versions of the BARC at the Olive-Drab Military Mashup.
Barge Amphibious Resupply Cargo (BARC) Photo Gallery
BARC / LARC-LX on Vietnam beach.
BARC / LARC-LX with cargo load including a 6x6 truck.
BARC / LARC-LX on the beach with ramp in loading position.
BARC / LARC-LX on display during the US Army logistics exposition PROLOG 85, Ft. Eustis, Newport News, VA, 13 May 1985.