Diamond-T began building the 969 series in 1941. After less than two dozen were built using civilian components, the instruments and other parts were changed to military standard and the designation became 969A. There was a 969B model for export, but these were not used by U.S. forces. Both closed metal cabs and open, soft-top cabs were built for the 969A. The soft-top cabs, which began production in 1943, could be fitted with a machine gun ring mount.
The Diamond-T 969A 4 ton, 6x6 Wrecker was powered by the 6 cyl., 529 cu. in. Hercules RXC engine that developed 106 hp. mated to a five speed manual transmission and two speed transfer case. It was equipped with the Holmes W-45 heavy duty military wrecker bed with its twin boom and two 5-ton winches at the front of the bed as well as a front mounted winch. A variety of other recovery equipment was carried, along with its own air compressor.
The vehicle weighed 21,350 lbs. and could tow 25,000 pounds. It was 292 in. long, 100 in. wide, and 116 in. high.
Diamond-T 969A 4 ton, 6x6 Wrecker (G509) Photo Gallery
Diamond-T 969A 4 ton Wrecker. Photo 28 December 1941.
Diamond-T 969A 4 ton Wrecker.
Diamond-T 969A 4 ton Wrecker. Woodlawn Lake, Camp Bullis, San Antonio, TX, July 1941. Photo was taken by Senior Cadet Edward Y. Pettit, of the Corps of Cadets of the A&M College of Texas (now Texas A&M University). He was promoted to Captain and won a Silver Star in Normandy, while Company Commander of Company C, 2nd Combat Engineers Battalion, 2nd (Indianhead) Infantry Division, 14 June 1944. Photo: Courtesy Bob Pettit, son of Capt. Pettit.
Diamond-T 969A 4 ton Wrecker, 1944. Photo: Courtesy Steve.