Prior to World War II, the vehicles procured by the War Department for military use were based on commercial designs. Military modifications were few, such as de-plating chrome parts and painting the entire vehicle in olive drab. Custom designed military vehicles, the normal practice in WW II and later, were few.
1942 photo of Truck, Pickup, 1/2 Ton, 4x2 Ford.
Motor Pool WAC Auxiliaries Farrelly Glenn (left) and Frances Lanz service a Ford Pickup, Hampton Roads Port of Embarkation, VA, 23 April 1943. [Thanks to Shane for correct ID.]