Today in WW II: 17 Oct 1941 USS Kearny [DD-432] torpedoed but not sunk by German submarine U-568, near Iceland, killing 11 sailors, the first American military casualties of WW II. More ↓
17 Oct 1943 At Gothenburg, about 10,000 seriously wounded and sick German and British POWs, about half from each side, make up the first British-German prisoner exchange of WW II [17-21 Oct].
Visit the Olive-Drab.com World War II Timeline for day-by-day events 1939-1945! See also WW2 Books.
GMC Model AFKX 4x4 Truck
The GMC Model AFKX, 4x4 Cab Over Engine (COE) truck was produced between 1939-1942 by General Motors Truck & Coach (Pontiac, MI). There were a number of chassis and body types:
- AFKX-352, 1 1/2 - 3-ton 4x4
- AFKX-502, 2 1/2-ton 4x4 Tractor
- AFKX-804, 4-ton 4x4
The AFKX-352 was used with the Shop Van body, the AFKX-502 tractor's mission was to haul cavalry horses in stock trailers, while the AFKX-804 was used as an Army Air Corps radio van.
All AFKX models use the GMC 426 6 cyl. engine with a four speed (352) or five speed (502, 804) transmission mated to a two-speed transfer case. The AFKWX-353 is another COE design of the same time period which shares running gear with the AFKX, but the AFKWX-353 has two rear axles, rated at 2 1/2 tons.
Manuals for this vehicle include:
- TM 10-1136 Maintenance Manual and Parts List, Truck, 1 1/2- to 3-ton, 4 x 4, COE GMC Model AFKX-352 (8 August 1941)
- TM 10-1214 Parts List, Truck, 1 1/2- to 3-ton, 4 x 4, GMC Model AFKX-352 (3 October 1941)
- TM 10-1215 Maintenance Manual, Truck, 1 1/2- to 3-ton, 4 x 4, GMC Model AFKX-352 (3 December 1941)
- TM 10-1226 Parts List, Truck, 1 1/2- to 3-ton, 4 x 4, GMC Model AFKX-352 (24 September 1941)
- TM 10-1231 Maintenance Manual, Truck, 1 1/2- to 3-ton, 4 x 4, GMC Model AFKX-352 (26 September 1941)
- TB 9-2830-21 Technical Bulletin: Conversion of GMC T16 (1938) and AFKX (1940) Four Speed Truck Transmission for Use as 1941 and 1942 Chevrolet 1 1/2 ton Truck Transmission (1944)
GMC Model AFKX, 4x4 truck chassis.
GMC Model AFKX-352, 4x4, Shop Van.
GMC Model AFKX-804, 4-ton, 4x4 Radio Van.
GMC Model AFKX-804, 4-ton, 4x4 Radio Van, panels opened.