The Truck, 5-Ton, 4x2, Tractor M-425, and the very similar M-426, were built by International, Kenworth, and Marmon-Herrington during 1944-1945. The M-425 is International model number M-542-9; M-426 is model number M-542-11. Designed for line haul cargo movement, they were rated for a 30,000 lb. towed load.
During World War II, they pulled semitrailers in the ETO following D-Day in June 1944 through the end of the war. They later served during the Berlin Airlift, the Korean War and into the late 1950s.
The M-426 was an upgrade variant to the M-425, given a new model number instead of an -A1 suffix. Improvements included 11.00-20 tires (instead of 9.00-20) and heavier suspension. Many of the trucks originally made as M-425 units were remanufactured to the M-426 specification. Originally designed by International Harvester, there were minimal production differences between the over 10,000 vehicles produced by the three manufacturers.
Both the M425 and M426 used the IHC RED 450-D 125hp engine mated to a five speed transmission and two speed transfer case. Since operation was limited to improved roads, there was no front wheel drive.