M-127 Semitrailer, Stake, 12-ton, 4-wheel (G750)
Semitrailer, Stake, 12-ton, 4-wheel M127 at the US Marine Corps Mechanized Museum, Camp Pendleton, CA.
The M-127 Semitrailer, Stake, 12-ton, 4-wheel is intended for use in transporting military supplies and general cargo. The M127 Semitrailer was designed to be towed by an M52 5-ton, 6x6 truck tractor or similar vehicle equipped with fifth wheel, air supply, and a 24-volt electrical system. If a 24-volt electrical system is not available, an alternate towing vehicle with a 12-volt electrical system may be used with the M127. The towing vehicle supplies brake air pressure and control of brakes.
The M127 semitrailer is based on the M126 semitrailer chassis. The chassis frame is welded into a single integral unit, with an upper fifth wheel plate and king pin coupling at front. The two rear axles are on leaf-spring suspension. Two foot-type retractable landing legs are provided for front end support when the semitrailer is not attached to a truck tractor.
The 12-ton payload can be carried by the M127 semitrailer at 50 mph on a highway or cross-country at 20 mph.
The base model M127 semitrailer has these features that vary in other models of the M127-series:
- Straight air brake
- Timken 36,000 lb tandem bogie suspension with leaf springs
- Thomas or Westran landing gear
- Structural weldment frame
- 24-volt lamps and wiring
- 4-wheel internal brakes are located within the brake drums and consist of S-cam, 2 shoe, double-anchor expanding-type wheel brake assemblies
There are three additional vairants, with these differences from the M127 and each other::
- Air-over-hydraulic brakes
- Military standard axles, hub and drum, air chamber (bogie assembly and brakes)
- 24-volt electricaI system
- Military lights, service, tail and stop
- Military type blackout lights
- 4-wheel internal brakes located within brake drum, consists of 4-hydraulic operated self-centering FR2S-type wheel brake assemblies
- Equipped with chains which support the panels and lifting rings for hoisting the semitrailer
- 24-volt electrical system and a separate 12-volt lighting system
- All features of M127A1
- Later design of bogie assembly and service brakes (axle, spring seat, “U" bolts, torque rods, hardware and brakes)
- Two tail, stop, turn and marker lights in each voltage, 12-volt and 24-volt
Find additional photos and hi-res versions of the M127 Semitrailer at the Olive-Drab Military Mashup.
M-127 Semitrailer, Stake, 12-ton, 4-wheel Characteristics
||28 ft 8-1/4 in.
||8 ft 3/4 in.
||8 ft 9-1/2 in
|Loading height, empty
||5 ft. 3/4 in
||24v only (M127, M127A1) or dual 24v/12v
||Eight 11.00x20 Military NDCC
||Air-over-hydraulic except M127 air only
|Departure angle, loaded
Table data is basaed on the M127 Semitrailer, from TM9-2330-207-14.
Manuals for the M-127 Semitrailer, Low Bed. 12-ton will be in the TM 9-2330-207-xx series, where the xx represents the maintenance level. The first parts list is ORD 9 SNL G-750, dated 13 April 1953. The NSNs for the M127 variants are: