M-6 Gun Motor Carriage (GMC) with 37mm Anti-tank Gun (G-121)
The M6 Gun Motor Carriage (GMC) was an early World War II mobile tank-destroyer based on the WC-52 Dodge 3/4 ton Weapons Carrier with a mounted M3 37mm anti-tank gun. In this usage, the truck is renamed as a WC-55. The gun and its shield were mounted in the cargo space of the truck, positioned to fire rearward. 80 rounds of 37mm ammunition were carried in the truck with the gun.
The 37mm anti-tank gun was far too weak for use against anything but lightly armored Japanese tanks, early in the war. Some M6 GMC units were sent to North Africa in 1942-1943, but proved completely inadequate against German armored forces. The M-6 had no armor of its own and its crew were completely exposed. These factors limited use of the M6 GMC to hit and run missions. As soon as heavier substitute anti-tank weapons were available, the M6 GMC was withdrawn.
The M6 GMC truck was manufactured by Dodge (the standard WC-52) and the completed vehicle and gun combination were produced by the Fargo Division of Chrysler Motor Corp. (Vehicle sometimes known as the 3/4-ton Fargo) A total of 5,380 M-6 GMC vehicles were built after standardization in February 1942, most of which were later dismantled and returned to service as WC-52 cargo trucks.
M6 Gun Motor Carriage Specifications
6 ft, 10 in.
6 ft, 4 in.
14 ft, 10 in.
Dodge T214, 6 cyl, gasoline
M-6 Gun Motor Carriage at Hampton Roads Port of Embarkation, Newport News, VA, 3 August 1943.