The Pinzgauer 710 and 712 models were developed in the 1960s and produced from 1971 to 1985 by Steyr-Daimler-Puch AG in Graz, Austria. The company still exists, but from 2000 has been involved in a series of acquistions and is now part of a larger defense manufacturing group.
The Pinzgauer has a number of innovative elements to its design, making it a highly reliable and easily maintained vehicle. The chassis is built around a center tube, with a transaxle, sealed differentials, hydraulic differential locks, and portal axles. It has high ground clearance with a surprisingly low center of gravity providing great traction, off-road capability and stability. The engine has multiple oil pumps to maintain lubrication at any angle.
The Pinzgauer was produced in both Model 710 (4x4) and 712 (6x6) models, each with soft-top (suffix M) and steel bodies (suffix K) as well as specialized body variants such as fire truck, ambulance or workshop. It is reported that a total of 18,349 "air-cooled" Pinzgauers (models 710 and 712) were produced between 1971 and 1985. After 1986, new model Pinzgauers were produced in Model 716 (4x4) and 718 (6x6) with a six cylinder Volkswagen turbo diesel engine and other improvements.
The vehicle is named for the Pinzgauer, a breed of spotted Austrian horse. The vehicle was used by the Austrian and Swiss military as well as export customers around the world.
Today in WW II: 15 Jul 1941 Double agent spy Juan Pujol Garcia [nicknamed 'Garbo'] sends his first communique to Germany from Britain.