The 3/4 ton G-502 series of Dodge WC trucks was introduced in late 1941, replacing the G505 1/2 ton trucks of the period 1939-1941. The most versitile of the 3/4 ton "Weapons Carriers" was the WC-51 or WC-52, two trucks that were identical except for the presence (WC-52) or absence (WC-51) of the front-bumper-mounted winch. Although called a "weapons carrier" it had folding troop seats down both sides of the cargo area and was primarily used to haul personnel and ammunition. Numerous variations were produced, including the M-6 Gun Motor Carriage (GMC) which mounted a 37mm Anti-tank Gun in the cargo bed of the WC-52 base vehicle.
The WC-52 was equipped with a Braden MU-2 winch, mounted in the center, front. The WC-52 frame was specially made, extended to accomodate the winch. The winch capacity was originally 5,000 lbs. with 3/8 in. wire rope, but was increased to 7,500 lbs. in October 1943. The higher capacity winch was equipped with 7/16 in. wire rope and a heavier shear pin.
WC-52 Truck, Cargo, 3/4 ton, 4x4 w/Winch Dodge (G502)
The WC-52 Truck, Cargo, 3/4 ton, 4x4 was developed at a Dodge subsidiary, the Fargo Motor Corporation. Between 1942 and 1945, 59,114 WC-52s were built for U.S. use and shipment to allies, especially the Soviet Union where the trucks became quite common. They were utilized very broadly for many purposes in all branches of the U.S. military through World War II and the Korean War. The M-37 3/4 ton 4x4 Dodge truck gradually replaced the WC models during the mid- to late-1950s.
WC-52 3/4 ton 4x4 Dodge Cargo Truck Specifications