WC56 Dodge Command Car, 3/4 ton, 4x4
Dodge produced a total of 21,156 WC-56 3/4 ton 4x4 Command Car vehicles from 1942 to 1944, part of the Dodge 3/4 ton WC series of trucks. The Command Car was used for transporting officers and for reconnaissance missions. Its distinctive profile made it a target, however, one of the reasons production was soon phased out.
The WC-56 differs from the WC-57 Command Reconnaissance Car in that the WC-57 was equipped with a winch. The WC-58 Radio Car is identical to the WC-56 or WC-57 but has provisions for a radio set to be mounted in the rear seat area.
The Olive-Drab.com Gallery has a photo of Lt. Gen. Patton with his WC-56 or WC-57 Command Car.
American and French officers review troops from a WC-56 Dodge Command Car during World War II.
Dodge WC-56 Truck, Command Reconnaissance, 3/4 ton, 4x4 w/o winch (G-502)
Find additional photos and hi-res versions of the WC-56 3/4-ton Command Car at the Olive-Drab Military Mashup.
Dodge WC-56 Command Car, 3/4 ton, 4x4 w/o winch Photo Gallery
Dodge WC-56 Truck, Command Reconnaissance, 3/4 ton, 4x4 w/o winch (G-502). Photo: "Baby" courtesy of Deryk Walker.
Securing a WC-56 Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 Command Car in an automobile transport boxcar, Detroit, MI, vicinity, August 1942.
WC-56 Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 Command Car at Dodge factory undergoing final inspection of lubrication, springs, axles, and the entire undercarriage, Detroit, MI vicinity, August 1942.
General George S. Patton, Jr. standing in a WC-56 Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 Command Car during a Ward Bonds rally and parade in Los Angeles, CA, 9 June 1945. This photo is available in high resolution in the Olive-Drab.com Gallery.