Dodge WC-59 Truck, Telephone Maintenance, 3/4 ton, 4x4 (G-502)
Dodge produced the WC-59 3/4 ton 4x4 Telephone Maintenance truck in 1943, part of the Dodge 3/4 ton WC series of trucks.
Dodge WC-59 Truck, Telephone Maintenance, 3/4 ton, 4x4 (G-502).
The WC-59 was a specialized vehicle used by Signal Corps soldiers who installed and maintained telephone wiring in the field.
When used by the Signal Corps, the WC-59 was designated K-50. Only 549 of these vehicles were produced. The WC-59 was replaced by the similar WC-61 and redesignated as the Light Maintenance Truck, 3/4-ton, 4x4. Some sources combine the production of WC-59 and WC-61 into a total of 607 vehicles.
The chassis of the WC-59 was similar to the WC-54 Ambulance, with the wheelbase lengthened by 20 inches (50 cm). A spare wheel was mounted behind the seats and a ladder carried diagonally on the left side of the vehicle. The box rear body was produced by Highway Trailer Co., Edgerton, WI.
The WC-59 (K-50) was used with the US Army Signal Corps K-38 Trailer, Cable Splicer, 1/4 ton, 2-wheel,.