WC-64 KD Truck, 3/4 ton, 4x4 Ambulance Dodge (G502)
The 3/4 ton WC-54 Ambulance was manufactured by Dodge from 1942 through 1945, with a closed body. It had a serious drawback in that its large, steel rear compartment took up a lot of space when the Ambulance was shipped overseas. To solve this, in January 1945 Dodge began manufacturing the WC-64 KD (for "Knock Down"), a new G502 ambulance shipped from the factory with a partially disassembled rear compartment.
A total of 3,500 WC-64 KD vehicles were produced through the end of the war in 1945.
The WC-64 had a 121 inch wheelbase (same as WC-54) with a reinforced frame. The open cab and lower part of the rear body were factory installed, while the wood frame, steel covered rear panels and roof were boxed for field installation. The WC-64 KD Ambulance had a hot-water space heater, a spotlight, and a fixed canvas cab top with a storage pocket for removable side windows.