AN/PRC-113 Manpack Radio
The AN/PRC-113 radio set is a tactical, short range, manpack, ground-to-air/air-to-ground radio used primarily by Forward Air Control (FAC) teams or other tactical ground to ground or ground to air communications. It was developed as part of the Pacer Speak family of tri-service interoperable radios for FAC teams.
USAF Senior Airman Scott Hays (left) and Staff Sergeant Larry St. Clair Jr., assigned to the 51st Fighter Wing, Osan Air Base, South Korea use an AN/PRC-113 to call in air-strikes during an exercise, 1995.
Today in WW II: 11 Jul 1940 US Quartermaster Corps asked 135 companies to bid on seventy light reconnaissance and command cars, the origin of the military jeep. More ↓
11 Jul 1941 Establishing the first US foreign intelligence organization, Wm. J. Donovan becomes Coordinator of Information, head of the organization renamed OSS in 1942, the predecessor of the post-war CIA.
Visit the Olive-Drab.com World War II Timeline for day-by-day events 1939-1945! See also WW2 Books.
AN/PRC-113 Manpack Radio Set
AN/PRC-113 Radio Set with accessory H-250 hand set, antenna bag, and cables.
The multi-band UHF/VHF AM AN/PRC-113 is short range (5 to 15 miles) and has a jam-resistant electronic counter-countermeasures (ECCM) transceiver. While limited to Line of Sight, low power, vulnerable to atmospheric conditions, and of limited bandwidth the AN/PRC-113 was still a valuable tactical radio for its assigned mission.
The AN/PRC-113(V) model is baseband COMSEC compatible. The AN/PRC-113(V)3 has internal ECCM while AN/PRC-113(V)1 does not have the integated ECCM capability.
AN/PRC-113 Technical Characteristics
- Transmission Range: Line of Sight (LOS)
- VHF: 116 TO 149.975 MHz
- UHF: 225 TO 399.975 MHz
- Channels: 8360, including 8 Preset & 1 Guard Channel)
- Power Source: Two BA-5590 (lithium), weighing 1.45 lbs each
- Power Output: 2-10 watts
- Weight: 13.8 lbs w/o batteries, 16.7 lbs w/batteries
- ComSec Unit: KY-57 external
- 10.4 inches wide
- 3.0 inches high
- 12.0 inches deep
AN/PRC-113 Part Numbers and NSNs
The AN/PRC-113 is manufactured by Magnavox with part numbers:
- AN/PRC-113(V)1 is part number 706738-801
- AN/PRC-113(V)3 is part number 706738-803
The National Stock Numbers for the AN/PRC-113 and related components are:
- AN/PRC-113(V)3 80058 AN/PRC-113 (v) 3, Radio Set, Complete NSN 5820-01-136-1519
- RT-1319/URC(V-1) 80058 RT-1319/URC, Receiver-Transmitter NSN 5820-01-112-0050
- 810599-801 37695 Battery Box NSN 6140-01-251-6260
- 10047-1 63747 UHF/VHF Antenna NSN 5985-01-184-0035
- A10005 29525 VHF Antenna NSN 5985-01-149-3871
- A10004 29525 UHF Antenna NSN 5985-01-149-3870
- 506-244-810 24600 W2 Cable Assembly, KY-57 - PRC-113 NSN 5995-01-224-0640
- 506-244-808 24600 W3 Baseband Cable Assem, KY-57 - Handset NSN 5995-01-154-0140
- 506-247-808 24600 W3 TOD Transfer Cable NSN 5995-01-154-0139
- H250A/U 80058 Handset, H250A/U NSN 5965-00-043-3463
Find More Information on the Internet
There are many fine websites that have additional information on this
topic, too many to list here and too many to keep up with as they come and go.
Use this Google web search form to get an up to date report of what's out there.
For good results, try entering this: an/prc-113. Then click the Search button.