Wiley-X SG-1 Spectacle System
Wiley-X SG-1 Spectacle System. Photo courtesy Wiley-X.
Wiley-X SG-1 Spectacle System
- "Ultra-Foam" seal around each eye socket prevents infiltration of wind and dust.
- Frame provides a 90-degree wrap-back, eliminating tunnel vision.
- Temples disengage with a push of a button, and can be replaced with a snap loaded adjustable elastic headband.
- Interchangeable lenses have scratch resistant coating.
- One size fits all.
- Ballistic-fragment protection meets MIL-PRF-31013 requirements.
- Compliant with all ANSI Z87.1-2003 optical performance and protection requirements.
- Clear and sunglass lenses offer 100% Ultra Violet protection.
- Does not provide laser hazard protection.
- Frame: Black plastic/neoprene rubber.
- Ballistic Lens: 2.1 mm polycarbonate lens (clear & sunglass).
- Strap: Black elastic.
- Temple arms: Black plastic/neoprene rubber.
- Storage Case: Black microfiber.
Wiley X continues to be the most widely used goggle on soldiers conducting Operation Enduring and Iraqi Freedom. The SG-1, seen on the cover of Time Magazine, is widely used as the replacement for the Sun-Wind-Dust Goggles (SWDG).
The Wiley-X SG-1 Spectacle System is commercially available protective eyewear for non-prescription lens wearers. The eyewear provides ballistic and UVA/UVB eye protection. The Wiley-X SG-1 is a dual lens eyewear that uses a foam seal around each eye socket to prevent infiltration of wind and dust. The system provides two functions in one: converting from a spectacle to low profile goggle. The lenses provide ballistic fragment protection (clear and sunglass) and have anti-fog and scratch resistant coatings. "Ultra-Foam" seals the eye orbits. The temples disengage with a push of a button and can be replaced with a snap loaded adjustable elastic headband. The frame provides a 90-degree wrap-back. Size: One size fits all.
The Wiley-X frames are on an Approved Products List, requiring units to purchase them using unit funds. But PEO Soldier no longer issues them free to deploying units.
Wiley-X SG-1 Spectacle System provides excellent ballistic protection, but does not provide eye protection from laser hazards. If a mission requires laser eye protection, the soldier must wear the Sun-Wind-Dust Goggles (SWDG), Ballistic-Laser Protective Spectacles (B-LPS), or Special Protective Eyewear Cylindrical System (SPECS) (with laser lenses).
NSN Table for Wiley-X SG-1 Spectacle System Components
|Wiley-X SG-1 Spectacle Kit
|Clear-Ballistic Replacement Lens
|Green Smoke-Ballistic (Sunglass) Replacement Lens
|Elastic Strap Replacement
|Replacement Frame (includes temples and strap)
Find More Information on the Internet
There are many fine websites that have additional information on this
topic, too many to list here and too many to keep up with as they come and go.
Use this Google web search form to get an up to date report of what's out there.
For good results, try entering this: wiley-x sg-1. Then click the Search button.